Forget-me-nots



Name: Forget-me-nots
Genus Name: Myosotis
Season: Perennial, Zones 4-8
Bloom Period: Spring, summer
Light Requirements: Part Shade
Soil: Fertile, neutral PH. Fertilize with compost or slow release all purpose in spring.
Height: 6-12"
Spacing: 9-12" apart
Uses:  Good in borders and containers, woodland gardens, rock gardens and around ponds. Grows under trees and shrubs. Self seeding and naturalizes easily.
Special Interests: Attracts butterflies and bees.


Author's Notes: Although they are simplistic and relatively common, I have always loved forget me nots. They are one of the first flowering plants that I was introduced to as a child because there were several planted beneath my bedroom window. I, like many children, once used these dainty clustering flowers as bouquets for my Barbie dolls. I have never forgotten the joy of seeing them emerge in spring. In my own garden I have had great success with forget-me-nots in my shaded, woodland beds. They have done exceptionally well under the pine and oak trees where there is rich moist soil. They can be planted in full sun but are best sheltered from hot afternoons. While they typically flower in spring and summer, I have had them rebloom in the fall, too. They naturalize easily and are considered invasive in some regions, but they are not difficult to maintain. I highly recommend these plants for a beginner's shade garden.

No comments

I would love to hear from you in the comments!

Please be courteous. All comments will be filtered for profanity, links and other spam. Please do not use self promotion as it is unprofessional.

Thanks!